This is World Cup Champion Greg Minnaar's signature tire! 60TPI
The Maxxis Assegai tire is named after the iron-tipped spear used by the Zulu people of South Africa. Greg Minnaar, a native of South Africa, thought it was a fitting name for a tire ready to do battle on the mountain. The tall knobs punch through dust and loam to find traction, but also offer support and confidence on wet roots and rocks. While other tires excel only in certain conditions, the new Maxxis Assegai is built to go fast everywhere.
What is TPI?
The number of threads that cross through one square inch of a single ply of the tire’s casing. Lower TPI gives better puncture, cut and abrasion resistance but is heavier. Higher TPI conforms better to the terrain, offering a smoother, more comfortable ride while reducing the weight of the tire.
Maxxis TPI ratings are the threads-per-inch of a single casing ply, as compared to some competitor TPI ratings.
|Threads Per Inch:||120TPI|
- WT: Wide Trail casing optimized for 30-35mm rims
- DoubleDown (DD): The next step in the evolution of the dual-ply tire casing for enduro racing. Two 120 TPI casing layers reinforced with a butyl insert provide the enduro racer with the support and protection of a downhill tire, but in a lighter package.
- 3C MG: 3C MaxxGrip uses the softest rubber compounds to offer the ultimate in grip and slow rebound properties for unparalleled traction in downhill applications.
- 3C MT: is softer and offers more traction than 3C MaxxSpeed, yet provides better treadwear and less rolling resistance than MaxxGrip.
- EXO+:EXO+ construction combines puncture protection materials: SilkShield and EXO. Combined, these two materials improve tread puncture resistance by 27%; sidewall durability by 51%; and resistance to pinch flats by 28%.
- TR: Tubeless ready
Reviews / Q&A