MRP's goal in designing the Ribbon was seemingly impossible: building on the success of the heralded Stage, create a fork with higher performance, more adjustability, more features, all at a significantly lower weight. Those incredible demands meant they had to re-imagine elements like casting design, reconfigure damper architecture, and completely re-target performance goals. The result is not just the best fork they’ve ever produced, it’s arguably the new industry benchmark.
The Ribbon Coil gives you the spring tunability and stroke control previously found only with air, while giving you the supple linear spring curve, lower friction, longer service life and consistent feel that you get with a coil spring. Coil aficionados have dreamt of a fork that combines these advantages with the latest in chassis and damper technology. MRP has delivered with the new Ribbon Coil.
“Twin-tube” has been a suspension buzzword for a few years, and with good reason. Despite it's notoriety among suspension aficionados, it's seldom been implemented in forks - until now. The Ribbon’s EssenTTial™ twin-tube dampers offer advantages in performance, ride control, space-efficiency, and durability that open bath and mono-tube dampers can’t touch. Furthermore, the EssenTTial™ damper utilizes an exclusive low-pressure IFP instead of a bladder - a stiction-free design that also provides more reliability and consistency over long-term use. And once service time finally does arrive, appreciable details like cassette-tool interfaces on the top caps and external bleed ports make the process stress free. On the rebound side, a speed-sensitive shim stack responds magnificently to trail events and obstacles of all varieties, shapes, and sizes.
The redesigned Outcast™ arch is an instantly noticeable feature, implemented for both practical and artistic reasons - look no further for proof of our "outside of the box" approach to the project. On the practical side, the forward-facing weight reliefs mitigate mud build up in the arch, a feature that will be especially appreciated by those who aren't fair-weather only riders. With the weight reliefs no longer hidden from view, the engineering team at MRP was forced to carefully sculpt every non-essential bit of material from them and holistically blend that shaping into the fork. That attention to detail in the casting design went a long way to achieving the feathery weight of the Ribbon. On the artistic side, the Outcast™ design stands out in a sea of homogeny and complements both organic and contemporary frame designs with aplomb.
A bolt-on axle option is available for a weight savings of over 30 grams from the QR axle. Each fork comes with 35mm of spacers and simple instructions for adjusting its travel – and you’re not just limited to 10mm increments, 5mm adjustment is possible, unlike any other fork on the market. And finally, the Ribbon will be offered in 9 decal color options – chosen to match today’s most popular colorways – so that your bike can maintain a clean, uniform look.
All MRP Ribbon forks have a medium spring installed from the factory as well as a soft and firm spring in the box. Use the chart below to determine if either of those 3 springs will suit your riding weight.
- Travel:140, 150, 160mm
- Wheel Size: 29", 27.5+"
- Spring: Coil
- Disc Mount: 180mm Post Mount
- Travel Adjust: Yes, Internal adjustments
- Axle Config.: QR 15x110mm
- Max Rotor Size: 203mm
- Crown Material: Aluminum
- Lowers Material: Magnesium
- Stanchions: 35mm Aluminum
- Steertube Dia.: 1.5" - 1-1/8" Tapered
- Crown Offset: 46mm
- Max Tire Clearance: 27.5" x 3.0" on 45mm ID rim / 29" x 2.6" on 35mm ID rim
- Warranty: 1 Year
- Ramp control allows quick tuning from progressive to linear spring feel on the trail
- Adjustments: Preload, 8-position low-speed compression, 20-position Ramp Control, and rebound.
- Medium spring installed, Soft and Firm springs also included
- Extra soft and extra firm springs available separately
- Outcast arch design with forward-facing weight reliefs to mitigate mud build up and deliver a distinctive look
- New bladder-free damper utilizing a low-pressure IFP
- Independently adjustable positive and negative air-chambers for greater tunability
- PSST pressure-relief valves that quickly and easily bleed off excess pressure in the lowers caused by elevation and temperature changes