The Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost is not for everyone. Thomson wanted to create the best seatpost possible without regard to cost. The serious cyclist will want to own the Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost.
Masterpiece posts weigh approx 40 grams less than the same size Elite model post. This weight reduction was accomplished while maintaining the strength and durability expected from a Thomson Seatpost.
Thomson accomplished this weight reduction by machining the seatpost all over--- including the oval inner diameter. They were able to hold closer tolerances by machining than by extrusion alone. Machining all over on an already beautiful design makes the Masterpiece Seatpost a work of art.
Over double the fatigue life of any other production models tested. The tube and head of the Thomson seatpost are integral-machined from one single piece of high strength 7000 series aluminum. The head is not pressed or bonded in. This allows for superior strength and minimum weight, allowing higher strength at low weights.
Natural ellipse bore inside tube for optimum strength to weight ratio.
Thomson seatposts have a long 1.614 inch (41 mm) seat rail grip length. This helps prevent seat rail bending from impact loads. Most brand-x seatposts have grip lengths of .500 inch or more shorter than that of a Thomson post.
The Thomson seatpost design incorporates a bending fuse to prevent catostrophic failure. All brand-x seatposts we tested - every one of them - failed in catastrophic failure with the seat and clamp components - and sometimes pieces of the tube and head - flying off in all directions. This type of failure would dump the rider.
The Thomson seatpost has a clamp, head, and upper tube strong enough to withstand 350 foot-lbs of torque. The tube will start to yield and bend at the seat tube clamp at about 250 foot-lbs of torque. Remember all brand-x posts tested flew apart at less than 150 foot-lbs of torque. Under severe impact the Thomson seatpost would bend slightly but would allow the rider to come to a stop or continue the ride. The ride could continue.
- Every component of the Thomson seatpost is 100 percent American made. This includes all fasteners and forgings.
- The Thomson seatpost has all parts captive and can easily be attached to a seat without disassembly.
- Infinite tilt adjustment minus 5° and plus 29°.
- Very low profile clamps - no seat interference - swivel nuts are down between the seat rails.
- The designs and materials have passed extensive life and ultimate strength tests.
- Every production lot of seatposts will have ultimate strength and fatigue tests performed. On going testing program insures that every production lot of seatposts meets Thomson standards.
- Impact absorbing clamps - clamps, head, and assembly will spread and flex on impact to protect seat, rails, seatpost and rider.
- Adjustments can be made to the tilt of the seat without moving the seat forwards or backwards.
- Easy on seats - allows seat to survive heavy impact loads without bending rails.